The Society was founded as the Epsom Protection Society in 1959, at a time when many historic and architecturally valuable buildings and houses in Epsom and Ewell were being threatened by developers. Its primary role then was to halt the destruction of Epsom’s heritage and to ensure that new development was compatible with the traditional character of the town. Today its purpose continues to be to protect the heritage of Epsom and to encourage high standards of new planning and building; but the change of name in 2011 reflects the wider concerns of the Society to promote civic pride and to inspire progressive improvement in the quality of urban life for everyone.
The Society is a founder member of Civic Voice, the national charity for the civic movement in England, and shares common aims with other civic societies.
We believe it is important for local people to be actively involved in civic life, and we need your help and support in this task – please join us.